Becoming An Early Riser: The Aftermath
Eight weeks ago I started getting up at 7am and I can say that there have been a few changes in this house.
I’ll admit right now that I don’t always get up at 7am. It usually happens for one of three reasons:
- I was up too late the night before
- I made the mistake of pressing the snooze button
- I’m not allowed
It’s definitely been an education and I’m happy to say that I’ve learned a few things:
- Really, the worst thing that can happen when you wake up is to press the snooze button. Just don’t do it.
- If you go to bed too late then you can safely set your alarm a little later than normal. As long it doesn’t become a regular thing.
- Make sure you come to some kind of consensus with those who share your life. Otherwise, you may be asleep when they want you to be awake.
As a result of this exercise I now class myself as an earlier riser. That’s nice, but I think the critical lesson for me has been self control. I now worry less about going to bed late because I know that I can get up when the time comes. That’s very liberating.
So, for me it was well worth it. My biggest piece of advice to any potential early risers would be: Take a pair of pliers to your alarm clock and rip the snooze button off.